Thursday, March 10, 2011

Sewing Expo - Whoo Hoo!

I have not posted to the blog for a while because early last Wednesday morning my friend Kathy and I headed up to Washington for the Sewing Expo. We were Sewing Expo virgins! What a great time we had, we both decided we would definitely go back. We did way too much shopping, not only at the vendors at the expo but also on the trip up and back home, staying in Portland one night to make sure we didn't miss out on shopping. I signed up for 9 different 45 minute seminars: Slinky (sewing on slinky fabric ala Chico's travel clothing); 2 handed fair isle knitting (no floats on the back); thread,needles & tension; fabulous floor mats, solar blueprint dyeing, sew like a pro; coats made easy, expressive sweatshirts. The Saturday night event that we bought tickets for was Ricky Tims, composer, story teller, quilter - he was so entertaining. So now on to the things I spent buckeroos on. I got pictures of most of it, a few items are gifts so can't post those.
Some of you remember my serger had been acting up. It was an inexpensive one I bought back in 1989 that worked great for 20 years and now no matter how I much it's adjusted it just won't serge right. I took it in for service and fixing and it's still not right. So, do I throw more money out the window on trying to fix it or just buy another inexpensive one - this one was only $179 in the Hancock Fabrics booth - I couldn't walk away from it. Funny, on the side it says Japanese technoloday, Made in China - kind of scary. Can't 'wait to get it out of the box and give it a try.
I bought quite a bit of the slinky fabric in black, a bit in red for making pants, tops & jackets along with patterns made for it from MacPhee. Not sure when I'll get to these.
More stencils in my favorites; gingkos & dragonflies along with lotus blossoms and shells.....as if I don't have enough gingko stencils......but these are different sizes
New patterns
More new patterns, a purse and two seashell wallhangings to make for the beach
New books, these look fantastic
Sheep fabric I just couldn't resist, bought coordinating fabrics to go with, probably for a big tote.
Chiffons from the Vogue booth (oh my gosh, the low prices!) to use for tops
Gingko fabric.....for whatever
Rayon Batiks for tops & pants, some bought at the Sewing Expo, some from FabricDepot on the trip home
More rayon batiks and some fun gingko buttons
And yet more rayon batiks - when am I going to do all this sewing???
Blue grey chiffon for a wrap, silk to stash for dyeing for lining for handwovens, lots of webbing in different colors to use for straps for rag bags - goal to get rid of all those cotton quilt leftovers by recycling them into tote bags. The chiffon and webbing came from the Mill End Store in Portland- wow, what a great store!
Oh and then there was a stop at Shipwreck beads on the way up - way too much fun, so many beads, so little time. Some novelty yarns to knit beaded bracelets with, friend Kathy showed me how. A small cone of mixed yarn from Yarnia in Portland for some fingerless mitts.

Oh, and I didn't put any pictures of my treasures from Ikea - I've got their catalog, looked at their goods online but had never been there - oh my gosh, the place was gigantic! What fun to go through, and had to have some swedish meatballs and mashed potatoes for lunch.

2 comments:

  1. That's it, I'm packing my bag and bringing my tiny stash. I wanna come live at your house! Love the sheep fabric, and I see you picked up Kayla's Angel top. Nice!
    I have Sandra Betzina's Power Sewing on my Amazon list, so let me know how you like her Tool Box series, please! So much stuff! Where did the car seats get left?
    Good booty, very good booty indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And that's just my loot - Kathy has just as much, minus the new serger. It's amazing how much we fit in her Element, just think what we could have done with my Grand Caravan! Definitely could not have taken anyone else with us, no room. And here I am working on finishing up other projects so I can get to sewing while Kathy is already cutting into her fabric!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!