Friday, January 19, 2024

A lost day......

Today turned into a lost day. Right after taking this photo of my 20/2 perle cotton black warp sett at 30 epi it was off the loom and in the trash can.  While winding the warp this morning it broke twice but I didn't think of it as a problem since it caught on a peg on the warping board that pulled it taut and broke it.  I wound it on the back beam with no problem. Threaded heddles.  But once I started sleying the reed it was shredding right and left. If my sley hook didn't break it the reed did. Of course I was almost done sleying and ready to tie on at this point. The cotton was so weak I knew it would be a problem tying on and would never hold up to weaving. I'm now rethinking the project - maybe using a navy blue 20/2 that is very strong.  I have lots of 10/2 but very little 20/2 to choose from.  This has happened several times over the years with black cottons, all thicker cottons but hasn't been an issue in probably 10 years.  Oh well...........another day, another warp...........  


 

2 comments:

  1. I've had it happen with both black cotton and black Tencel. Someone familiar with the industry told me that black yarns are often the result of overdyeing and have been subjected to harsh treatment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard the same. It's too bad I didn't test this yarn before using it, and it's been on my shelf for quite a while so no returning it at this point. Oh well, live and learn.

      Delete

I love your comments - thank you!