Tuesday, August 30, 2011

odds & ends......

....that's how today is being spent....on odds & ends.....got the blocking done earlier, crocheted mesh scarf is now dry and looks great, shawl is still drying.....
I planned the next warp to go on the loom, black tencel for twill scarves but I never made it to the warping board. Instead I pulled out the Weave It which I've never used but bought several years back after reading an article in Piecework on the caretaker of the Cape May Point Lighthouse making an afghan using these little squares. I loved the look of it, especially since she felted it after sewing them all together. I have a history with Cape May Point - I spent summers there while growing up at the family beach house. So I had to weave up a sample square so I'd know how much yardage I would need for each so I can pick up wool or spin it for a future afghan. I thought it would be a fun project to leave over at the beach cottage to work on here and there. The Weave It on the right is an original - it belonged to my aunt, it came complete with a number of finished squares in acrylic yarn. A real funny thing about this is that this is about as simple as it gets for weaving.....and yet I'm waiting for my AVL 40 harness loom to be built.....what extremes I enjoy.
Next was crocheting up a granny square which I then ripped out to figure out how much yardage is needed for each one.....want to make an old fashioned granny square afghan too. Now I'm armed with all that information. My sample used Cascade 220 which is what I'll use for the afghan too....will watch for a sale and pick out beach glass colors.

Then I wound the skeins in my earlier post this morning into balls and found a project to start using that handspun, the Clementine Shawlette from the Spring 2007 Interweave Knits. Not sure how it will look with my multi-colored handspun, if I don't like it I'll rip it out and find another pattern to use.

Hmm, what should I work on now.........

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fun day but what sounds even more fun is the loom you said you're waiting for. AVL...I love their looms! And, 40 harness?! WOW! How exciting! When do you get it and how wide does it weave. I'm excited for you. Can't wait to see it on your blog. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting the AVL 24" V-Series 40H compudobby loom. I was originally thinking I'd just get 24 harnesses but what the heck, not that much more to get 40. I've been thinking about this for around 4 years but just couldn't pull the trigger. When the V series came out it really intriqued me because of the smaller footprint. I have limited space and I won't give up my 10H 40" Macomber.....I did move out a smaller Macomber to the closet under the stairs to make room for the AVL. I ordered it in June at the ANWG conference, supposedly it's to be ready this month, haven't heard back since they asked what size reed I wanted with it. Figured I'd give them another week before checking on it. Big learning curve to get over with this one! I already have the software to study and am familiar with weaving software in general as I've had WeaveIt Pro for years. Will be a fun fall playing with it. Right now I'm trying to decide if I want the warping wheel too, a fellow guild member has one she'll sell me at a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My friend Linda uses a Weave-It to sample before she warps. She has a great eye for color and the Weave-It lets her test risks. I keep thinking I need one, but I need to advance beyond rags before it will matter. My mother was one with the Granny squares - that picture brought her back to me instantly!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!