Sunday, October 15, 2023

MIA.........once again.......

I'm not sure why I can't motivate myself to post to the blog. Maybe those that have followed it for years have given up on me. I just don't have anything to say, often not much to post photos of.  I could say I'm going to do better but might as well not since who knows what will happen.  But for today there is a post...............

I've been wanting to do a summer & winter runner project since seeing it in Handwoven magazine back in the S/O 2001 issue. If I do use something from Handwoven I don't often follow directions for  projects exactly - usually I use a draft in totally different fibers for a totally different project.........but this time I decided to follow them......big mistake for this particular project. 

Phew, what a fiasco.......for a bit.  First I almost had the 400+ ends threaded through the heddles when I decided something didn't look right, too many warp ends left to thread - yep, I had forgotten to do a repeat back at the beginning.  Out it came, rethreaded the next day, sleyed the reed and tied on. 

I started weaving but it wouldn't beat square (no pic), it was at least 3 times longer than it should be. There was no way to beat it square.  When starting this project I was thinking using 10/2 sett at 24 epi was a bit much, should have been 18-20 epi but I kept with the instructions. And with 10/2 I would have chosen 5/2 for the pattern weft but the instructions said 3/2. The errata I found for this project was actually in the letters to the editor where someone brought up this exact issue - answer was that yes, it could be beat square (hah!) but there were changes that could be made. The changes I made were to give up the diamond summer & winter background which takes 8 shots per square on the profile draft to a plainer background that only took 4 shots per square which meant I could alter the number of repeats.......and to use 5/2 for the pattern rather than 3/2. If I were going to weave this project again I would change the sett so I could use the diamond treadling. I've now got 3 out of 4 table runners woven - hoping to finish the last one today. 

I went to Websters with a friend on Wednesday to see the trunk show for Greenwood Fiberworks - the owner Carolyn, was on her way to OFFF (Oregon Flock & Fiber Festival) so stopped in our area on her way to share with those of us not going to OFFF this year. I helped make her trunk show a success with the purchases below..........

So once again taking photos with my phone leaves me with sideways or upside down photos that no matter how many times I edit them once I upload them to the blog they do what they want.  Here is the Greenwood Fiberworks shawl kit I bought - almost bought one in sand/sea glass colors but decided I've done too much in those colors recently so went with these yarn colors. I think I can wear the shawl with much more in these colors.  Not sure when I'll start this - have many things on the to-do list before it.

Here is the yarn I bought to make these fingerless mitts, 2 different colorways for 2 pair of mitts. Carolyn Greenwood had a pair knit in this pattern in her trunk show, it's a free pattern on Ravelry called Keep the Leaf. 

And then I bought this set of mini-skeins for a pair of socks - will have to look for some ideas of how to use them.........when they move up the very long to-do list................

Still dealing with back and leg pain but it's slowly improving. I was going to PT for a bit, now doing the stretches and exercises here at home.  I'm able to weave again, slowly with many breaks but that's ok, I'm weaving. 

Maybe I'll post again soon........
 

7 comments:

  1. As you can see from my blog, I've been having a hard time posting, too. I was so regular for so many years, not sure why it's a problem now.
    Thanks for the info about that free Ravelry download! I've downloaded and printed it, and now I *just* need to get some yarn and find the time to make some as holiday gifts. LOL
    BTW, your runner looks beautiful, so hopefully you can move by the pain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be too late for me for this holiday, next holiday I'll be making some of these mitts for gifts.

      Delete
  2. In fact, after I left the earlier comment, I went online and ordered yarn to make 4 pairs!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I’m doing a Summer and Winter weave project at the moment too. Have found that going down a thread size for the tabby weft- using 12/2 as the tabby weft with 8/2 warp and pattern weft - is giving a very nice cloth, and I can almost get it square

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting. I have always had my pattern weft a size up from the tabby warp & weft which is why the big difference and too close sett surprised me in these directions. Guess I should have gone with what I knew would work in the beginning.

      Delete
  4. Summer and Winter has always been a hard weave for me too, I just can't beat it hard enough to get anywhere near square, but your weave looks lovely.
    Knee pain, I again can empathize, I just got steroid shots in both knees and OMG what a difference it has made.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!