Tuesday, August 2, 2022

Frayed........

Yes, that's how life feels at times - frayed. But in this case it's a baby/toddler blanket made with recycled blue jeans. I used 3 different sheep fabrics from my stash on the back. I love the way it turned out but I'm afraid this is the only one I'll be making, snipping all those layers took forever and really ouched my arthritic hands.  I'm not sure what I'll do with this if the local foster kids organization doesn't take it with other donations from our local sewing guild. I'm not sure why they wouldn't like it but who knows. I'd make this again using something other than jeans fabric, something soft and easy to snip like flannel or cotton. Anyhow, it turned out really cute and would have been a much quicker project had it not been for the heavy jeans.  I need to come up with some other projects to use up the rest of those jeans. 

Last week the extended weather forecast showed the temps going from 110+ to the low 90's, upper 80's this week........well, it was wrong, once again.  Upper 90's, 100's later in the week. We are in extreme fire danger from now until fall rains. The fire in Northern California is close and we're getting socked in with smoke. I've really grown to hate summers. Our first 10 years in Oregon wasn't bad but each year we have more and more days over 100 and fire danger is worse. it doesn't help that our AC is limping along and the house is warm and stuffy - new HVAC system on order. I'm on my countdown to the end of fire season. I use the end of September as my last day although that's rarely it but hopefully we've at least had one rain by then - 60 days to go.......



 

8 comments:

  1. That baby blanket/quilt is adorable, but I hear you about not worth it on your hands. This would be a great time to pick up a mess of cotton flannel shirts-or sheets-at the thrift store and repurpose them. I assume you've already made rag rugs/placemats/runners with the blue jeans. How about making stuffed animals? I've seen some really cute patterns, and using a variety of colors of jeans would add to their loveliness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No Peg, I haven't woven with the jeans only because I don't have blue in my house and I'm not selling anymore........and not sure who I could make them for. Stuffed animals are a cute idea although I hate sewing things that need stuffing but if simple patterns I might like doing it. Thanks for the ideas. At some point I'll get those two huge bags of jeans out of my sewing room........

    ReplyDelete
  3. For your jeans: How about those bags you make for school kids? Or some totes for new moms with the same org that you give your quilted blankets to? Or maybe use them for the top, an old felted wool sweater for the palm, and some fleece for lining and make some mittens for gifts? You could decorate them with small bits of your quilting, or buttons, or beads, or not at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peg, thanks for your suggestions, they're all great. Using some of the jeans for the tote bags for headstart kids is a good idea, they'll have to be seamed but maybe just a couple extra seams. I've made my quota for this year but I could cut them and have them ready for next year. Mittens are a really cute idea. Thanks Peg - you've given me more to think about, maybe those bags of jeans will get out of the sewing room sooner rather than later.

      Delete
  4. Did you use a chenille cutter? (google it) Might be easier on the hands.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Valerie, I'm familiar with a chenille cutter but I don't think it would have helped with this project. I already had raw edges from sewing the squares together - they had 1/2" seams which then had to be clipped every 1/4-1/2" to the sewing line. I wondered if the fabric would have raveled enough had I not clipped the seams but I didn't try it. I should sew up a sample and see. Thanks for the idea.

      Delete
  5. I saw another great idea with jeans and took a very short video of it I'd love to send you, but can't do it via blogspot. If you'd like to see it, email me (peg at handwovenscarves dot com) and I'll reply with it.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!