Monday, July 8, 2019

A relaxing 4th

 We spent the last 5 days on the coast, it was great to escape the heat although it's not horrible here in the valley at the moment, but still 70 with an ocean breeze does good for the soul. I finally finished warping the loom over there - a towel warp has been wound on the back beam for months. I got the heddles threaded, then sleyed the reed and tied on.

 I only wove 2 towels to get it started as I had other things I wanted to do - like reading and stitching hexxies…....and relaxing. I can't remember which draft this is other than it came from the Strickler book - my notes are over at the beach cottage. I'll have to get a picture of the hexxie sections I've sewn so far - great  handwork for while riding in the car. I do have a problem though - I can't seem to wear a thimble and I did so much stitching the pad of my middle finger on my right hand is irritated. Maybe I'll put a small bandaid on it for the next round of stitching......which won't be until my finger is no longer sore.

We went crabbing one day - how relaxing can it get just sitting out on a dock throwing the crab ring and pulling it out...……..well, having Sam throw the crab ring and pull it out...…….and put the stinky fish head baits on the hook while I watched birds diving for fish and watched the sea lions watching us throw out bait.....we did lose a bit of bait to them. We caught a ton of Dungeness crab but they were all just a bit too small so they had to go back but we did get to keep the red crab....which we ate for dinner. Being a smaller crab they are a pain to pick but they were yummy. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,
    I too have had problems with wearing thimbles, they are just so uncomfortable. Then I was lucky to be given a package of self adhesive thimbles. They can be found in many bead shops or on line; Colonial needle has some and so does Etsy. Hope this helps you as much as it did me. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynnette. I searched for them on Etsy and what I found looked familiar - surprise, surprise, I looked in my 'junk/misc' drawer in the sewing room and there was a package of them. As soon as my finger gets over being sore I'll give them a try.

      Delete

I love your comments - thank you!