Friday, June 17, 2016

Back in the nest........

We are back in the nest again.......yes, I realize none of you knew I was gone.  Hubby, Bailey and I took off on a road trip to visit friends in Northern Idaho and then on to visit family in Big Fork, MT. There was a lot of driving involved. We had a great time but alas, I took practically no pictures.........this trip was all about visiting.  So, the only pix I have to share is when I churned butter in Idaho - very fun and even more tasty.


Here friend Diane is demo'ing how I'm to churn the farm fresh milk


She turned the butter churn over to me and after much churning here is my butter sitting in resulting buttermilk


Here the buttermilk is draining off. I don't like the taste of commercial buttermilk, it's great for baking, but not for drinking. I tasted this farm fresh buttermilk and it was heavenly


And here's my butter -  probably around 1 1/2 pounds. I took it on to my next visit in Montana to share - believe me this was incredible tasting. If I had access to fresh farm milk at a reasonable price I'd be churning my own butter from now on......but the cost here is prohibitive as in $10-$15 a gallon.....if anyone reading this is local and knows of less expensive farm fresh milk in our area please let me know.

Today is all about catching up......or as I call it 're-entry'........which usually sucks. I'm hoping to get a warp on the loom in the next few days and get back to dyeing some silk shawls soon.



3 comments:

  1. Welcome home! You got here just in time for the cool weather, changing over to the warm weather....I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to hear you enjoyed your vacation. Your home made butter looks delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can attest to the taste of handmade butter. One year in my life I had the opportunity to buy a gallon of milk a week from a neighbor in rural Nevada. I didn't realize how far behind I've gotten in reading blog posts and am astonished at how busy you've been. I'm exhausted just reading what you've done!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!