Wednesday, July 15, 2015

What's for dinner.....

One of my favorite summer meals comes from the June 2000 issue of Cooking Light magazine - Sesame Shrimp and Couscous Salad. It's hard to tell the size of this bowl but it's huge - I doubled the recipe and even then added more shrimp. It's even better the second day. It's really simple and quick to make......to make it even easier you can buy already cooked shrimp at the grocery but I like to cook my own. I take liberties with the recipe not measuring anything and being generous with my favorite ingredients but this is the official recipe that serves 4 (1 1/2 cups each).

Sesame Shrimp and Couscous Salad

3 1/4 cups water, divided
1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined (I use more shrimp)
1 cup uncooked couscous
1/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 tsp vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
1/2 tsp dark sesame oil
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 1/2 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
3/4 cup frozen green peas, thawed
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (I use more - I love cilantro)
2 tbs finely chopped unsalted, dry roasted peanuts

Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add shrimp, cook 3 minutes or until done. Drain and rinse with cold water, cut shrimp in half. Bring 1 1/4 water to a boil in saucepan, gradually stir in couscous. Remove from heat; cover and let stand 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork, cool.

Combine vinegar, vegetable oil, soy sauce, sesame oil and garlic in a large bowl; stir well with a whisk. Add shrimp, couscous, lettuce, bell pepper, peas and cilantro, toss well. Sprinkle with peanuts.

Enjoy the yum......

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely going to make that. I love leftovers more than the meal!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!