Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day gift

My mother is at that stage in her life where she says she doesn't need anything, figuring out a gift can be hard so I try to go handmade. For mother's day I altered a sweatshirt into a cardigan. She lives in a retirement community and goes from her cottage to the main building for meals, the dining rooms can be cold in the summer time so this will be perfect worn over a t-shirt. I took a commercial sweatshirt, cut it down the center, cut off the neck ribbing and put on a binding out of some fun ginkgo fabric I had in the perfect color (yes, I do have a big stash of ginkgo fabric, no surprise, huh?). Her arms are short so I cut off a bunch on the sleeves and put the binding on the edge of them too. What you can't see in the photo are the pockets - I was trying to get a picture of the t-shirt and didn't think about the pockets. After cutting off the sleeve ribbing I opened it up, cut it into square pockets, edged the top with the fabric binding and sewed them on. Then I took a t-shirt and appliqued a piece of the binding fabric on the front and a little applique on the back. I think it turned out really cute. I've got an idea for one for myself, maybe with some beadwork, some handwork too.........but not sure when that will happen as it's not high on my to-do list at the moment, too many other things that need to be done right now.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! That looks great....I bet your Mum loved it x x

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a thoughtful and cute Mother's Day gift, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are always so clever with ideas for gift giving!! I'm sure your mom loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this idea -- I hope your mom appreciated it.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!