Yesterday morning I went up to neighbor Carol's house - her husband Merle has tons of cool rusted stuff up there. She and I decided to try our hand at rust dyeing on silk scarves. For one of mine I chose big old bolts and chain - the other I wrapped the scarf around a horseshoe. I washed the scarves before we started, then we sprayed them with a 50/50 mixture of vinegar & water. Then we wrapped them around/up in the rusted stuff, put them in plastic bags and left them overnight.
Here's the finished
beauty shot quick and dirty shot of the scarf I used rusted bolts and chains on. My other one that was wrapped around the horseshoe didn't do much, just got some color on it but no neat imprints. So, I wrapped it around some gears and will check on it tomorrow.
One of Carol's turned out great, sorry no picture, like it turned out really great. Her other one didn't have much rust imprint so she wrapped it with some chain and will check it tomorrow morning.
Next up when I paint warps sometime this month we'll try out ice dyeing.