Sunday, September 21, 2014

Pesto, turkey and fires oh my...........

I'm thinking positive that our weather will eventually cool and I'll lose my basil on the deck so I made another two batches of pesto - all in all enough for 8 meals of either pasta, pizza or to put in a big pot of soup. This will be thrown in the freezer in small containers next to the other four batches. Who knows, might get another batch or two before frost. This was so good that I had to smear some on a piece of Italian bread as a snack.
 
In case anyone is interested here's my recipe for one batch - into a food processor I put 2 cups of basil, 1 cup of grated parmesan cheese, 1/2 cup olive oil, 2 cloves of minced garlic and then however much pine nuts I feel like throwing in, probably 1/2-3/4 cup. Process to desired consistency. Those pine nuts sure are expensive.
 
 No, these turkeys are not mating - it's two tom's - they are fighting for dominance. They were so engrossed in fighting that they didn't even care that I was less than 10 feet away.  Unfortunately the best photos would have been before I ran in to get the camera but I got a couple pix.

Turkeys are so stupid - they even fight stupid. The one being pecked on started running down the driveway a minute after I snapped this, then they fought some more, then he ran off for good - guess we know who one today.

On the fire front - I got an email from FlashAlert earlier today saying that as of 6pm tonight all evacuation levels are lifted on our fire - whoo hoo.  The northeast flank of the fire (our danger point) is still not contained but they must feel confident enough in what they've been able to accomplish today to drop all evacuation alerts. Temps close to 100 again today but by Wednesday we're supposed to be in the mid 70's with possible rain for a few days - I may just have to go out and stand in it.....or maybe dance........



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments - thank you!