This past Saturday I put it through my drum carder three times. Some of the spinners will spin it without carding and end up with lumpy bumpy fun yarn, some will put it through a carder just once. I wanted just a bit of texture but not much so I put it through the carder twice, then a third time adding some angelina sparkle in hot pink to give it some flash!
Here's what one of the batts looks like. As I spin I tear the batt into strips. I ended up with 12 1/2 ounces of fiber.
Here is the first bobbin almost filled - the color turned out beautiful, I love the little bits of yellow, white and black in it for interest and texture. I completely filled this bobbin and started on the second bobbin today. I'm able to fit half of the fiber (6 1/4 oz) on one of these big Majacraft bobbins. I'll ply the two bobbins together for a 2 ply yarn. I'm not sure how I'll use this yarn yet - will depend on how many yards I end up with. I'm spinning it a bit thicker than fingering weight. I wanted to start off the year working on this project since our display at the county fair this year will be a photo display of all the steps of the garden party and finished pieces of skeins of yarn made not only from the 2009 garden party but also from 2007 & 2008.