Sunday, February 25, 2018

Bits & bobs.......

 Finally the quilt top I started a couple years ago made it to a long arm quilter in January - don't ask me why it took me so long to get it to someone. I took it to Sew Cute Quilting & Fabric Boutique in Dillard, OR - we pass it on our way to and from the coast. If it hadn't been that convenient it may still be sitting in the basket with the backing and batting.  This morning I got the binding sewn on - I love these little clips - so much easier than using pins on something like this.
 My mitered edges turned out great - I cut the corners  off the quilt so it wouldn't get stepped on as we walk around the bed. Here the binding is turned to the back ready for the final hand-stitching. Yes, I could stitch in the ditch and catch the backside of the binding but I really like not seeing that machine stitching in the binding. Once it makes it onto the bed at the beach cottage I'll take a photo again. It's hard to see in the pictures but the quilting is a sealife design with shells, sand dollars, starfish and kelp.
 I spent some time sewing yesterday making some snap bags. The tops have metal measuring tape inside the casings so the tops can be pulled out and snap back closed. These three go with a tote bag I made a couple years ago. I also made 4 more small ones in various stages of construction. I'll be leading our neighborhood American Sewing Guild group in how to make them later in March. I took photos along the way so I can give each person written directions too.
This painted silk warp went on the loom the other day but other than auditioning wefts I haven't gotten back to it. This is a dye job gone awry. I mixed that purple dye with varying amounts of gold dye hoping to get more of an ombre feel but it didn't come out as expected. So, after sitting for 2 years on the shelf I decided to just put it on the loom and get it woven. I've got enough for 3 scarves - I'll vary some wefts and also vary treadlings. I'm hoping once woven I'll like them better than I am right now........I could easily take that purple out of the warp, not sure I want to do that though.


7 comments:

  1. Oooh. Will you have the how to for sale for those bags? I would be interested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teresa, I saw them on someone's blog so went searching on how to make them and found a great tutorial on youtube. I can't sell the directions since they aren't mine but I'm happy to share the link to the video I used as a guide. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdfg93j72JI

      Delete
  2. Those little bags are great - I'm going to go watch that video, too. And I like the purple in that warp - of course I can't see where it is in the painted sections yet. And this time I think all the auditioned wefts work. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched it - brilliant! I do wonder if it would make sense to make one side be a magnet?? What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really doesn't need a magnet - the tape measure on each side stays closed. I've put stuff inside, turned it upside down and jiggled it and nothing comes out.

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I've got everything I need now to try it out. Although I don't have batting, I'll use stiff interfacing instead. Should be ok......

      Delete
  4. I love my snap bag! It’s a valuable part of my purse, keeping small things contained (like clippers) so I don’t have to dig around for them in a pocket or the bottom of my bag. It’s so efficient, it lets me carry a smaller purse.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!