Saturday, December 27, 2014

Ack......

I finally got the hand-dyed silk and tencel scarves cut off the loom and look what I found - what looks like uneven beating only my beat was perfect. I've figured out what happened - as the scarf went around the front beam the weft threads got distorted as I tightened the warp back up. I'm sure this happened because I was just placing the weft and the silk was very slippery. So, what did I do - I sat down with a needle moving the wefts back where they should be.......on all 3 scarves, in many places.....but they look great now, ready to sell in my etsy shop.

 Here's the one with the fuchsia weft
 
 Red weft used here
 
Wine weft in the final scarf
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Cindie. I had something similar happen lately, too, but I attributed it mostly to the fact that the front bottom edge of my breast beam is slightly sharp. I noticed the spaced-out weft near the beginning of the warp, as it passed below the beam, & I decided to stuff a soft cloth along that beam edge to round it out. It was a pain in the neck to keep it in place while advancing the warp, but it definitely helped. A long-term solution may be to sand or plane that edge to round it out or attach something permanently to it. A slippery thread & loose sett definitely exacerbate the spaced-out problem, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that tip - I'll check out the bottom part of my beam to see if that's the culprit. I've been weaving on this loom for 29 years now - when this has happened rarely in the past it 'came out in the wash' but this time it didn't. Maybe a combination with this particular silk that I haven't used before.

      Delete

I love your comments - thank you!