Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Not much to show

Little results for many hours in two classes taken at the nwrsa conference...but new techniques were learned and that's what the goal of the classes were for me.
This was my triangular shawl sample - it's american girl doll size. What we learned in this class was how to create triangular shawls starting at the center top (neck edge) of the shawl, it could be equal triangles like this or elongated ones. In the plain section of the shawl I can now look in a book at lace patterns and understand how to design it in my shawl working it out on a graph, same with a border. We also learned 3 different cast-offs, all which are seen on my sample. From left to right: a picot bind off where the picot ends up exactly where it's wanted, not leaning to one side as in so many patterns, then a crocheted loop bind off, then a stretchy bind off. Obviously my sample will look better once it's blocked.....if I block it......
And here's my Sally Bag which is a root gathering basket. This is very small, like 4" tall, it took forever to weave. I didn't take a picture of the bottom but it's turned up into the basket, kind of like how a wine bottle bottom may be made. This enabled the Indians along the Columbia River to push it out and carry even more roots. The top looks a little messy but it's traditional the way it's finished, and the inside shows short bits of ends. All the Indians would have added was a hide around the top with straps to tie it around their waists. This was very slow twining but fun and I could see doing it again. Even though a bigger bag would take longer to weave I think it would be easier to work on.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome little basket! and the shawl is pretty cute too. Great skill to have making a shawl from the neck edge I would imagine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure title "Not much to show" is fair. Sometimes, the more you learn the less there is to show. BTW, why is it called a Sally Bag?

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!