Thursday, March 23, 2017

Crimp Cloth

This past weekend my weaving guild brought in Dianne Totten for a workshop in Crimp cloth. It was great. Dianne's a great teacher and wonderful person - I totally enjoyed learning from her. I'm so excited with the possibilities. I've only touched the surface as I had a 8H point twill and extended twill on my loom - so many samples woven but more could be....but then there are so many other weave structures that can be used. My loom was warped for weft crimp but then there's another whole side to this - warp crimp. How I wish I could set aside everything else I have to do and play with putting on many samples warps. If you ever have the opportunity to take this workshop from Dianne don't hesitate, but if that option isn't available to you she has two different videos out there, one on weaving crimp cloth, the other on sewing with that crimp cloth. They can be found on the Interweave Press website. I own the weaving one and am thinking I need to buy the sewing one.



I wove a total of 11 samples but honestly don't feel like taking photos of all to post here. So, here's one of the samples before and after crimping. My warp is 8/2 tencel, my weft is polyester sewing thread woven in a clasped weft technique. Most of my samples were woven using Orlon for the weft but I did a few with sewing thread and they turned out incredible, so lightweight.....not that the others were heavy but these were so yummy feeling.  The weft needed to be something that would hold the crimp when steamed, for warp crimp the warp needs to be a fiber that will hold the crimp. (details in Dianne's video). The white threads are my pull threads - I pulled it tight (sorry forgot to take a picture of that) like in shibori and tied it securely in preparation for steaming. It's hard to see above but there's a pattern to those pull threads to create columns.......I wove many samples with different patterns to the pull threads, the diamonds were pretty neat looking.


And here it is after steaming and after washing. See that incredible crimp?  It's permanent as long as I don't take an iron to it to flatten it out. You can see on the left that's where I had it threaded to an extended point twill, on the right it was just a point twill.

I found a picture of one of the samples pulled ready for the steamer, it's not the same sample as above but it shows what it looks like when the pull threads are pulled tightly. In this sample my ground cloth is a twill ratio tie-up - you can just see a bit of it above the crimping. My crimp threads are in a diamond design.....which you can't see. My weft was black orlon for this sample.

I'm so excited to try some scarves with ruffled trims. I wove a few samples with extra length for ruffles where I can experiment with hemming techniques. So, there will be some crimp scarves showing up on the blog but first I have a list of other weaving with deadlines........would love to just set those aside and jump into crimp cloth but I can't. I'd love to make a couple vests too. So many fun projects..........so little time!






5 comments:

  1. So glad it was a fun workshop! Looks pretty interesting too. Can't wait to see those ruffled scarves. Oh and that honey jar....here is the same thing.
    http://www.jacksonandperkins.com/honey-pot-with-wooden-dipper/p/37709/?gclid=COvB6YT37tICFUlNfgodpM8JCw&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ppc_google_pla&gdffi=341ebfce6bce4cc5b5f6be51f712e281&gdfms=D23DAC4A15CD4602BD22832496CB2C61&ef_id=V12BCgAAAI3YFqCE:20170324102726:s

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! You know, that's what I love about weaving -- there are SO many things you can do with it. It's also what sometimes frustrates me...I'm decades past my 20s. How many more things can I play with in my remaining gray-haired years?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting your thoughts from Diane's workshop. I took it last fall. I just cut off 11 samples last night and then saw your post! I want to weave some scarves and never even contemplated how to hem - I am a new weaver. I hope you share a few thoughts on that down the line. You are inspiring me to weave!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On one of my samples I'm going to do a tiny hem with the fabric turned up twice. On the other that I used sewing thread for the weft I'm going to double it and hand hem up near where the crimping starts. I will try to post once I do this. Both techniques I'm going to weave a bit without crimping so there's a ruffle on the end of the scarf. Diane briefly went over finishing but since our workshop was only 2 days instead of the usual 3 there wasn't much time for it.

      Delete

I love your comments - thank you!