Saturday, June 7, 2014

Corkscrews.......

No, I don't mean corkscrews as in we're opening a really wonderful bottle of wine.  I mean in the kind that come from unraveling knitting - yikes - what a challenge
Here is half of the knit silk blank I dyed in a class by Nancy Roberts at the NWRSA conference a week from Friday.  The blank continues on to the right with the colors reversing. I was a little skeptical that I could actually wind the warp straight from the blank letting it sit on the floor and unravel as I wound around the pegs. It was a little bit of a challenge but not too bad.  
 
 Here it is after I've wound it on the back beam, it's spread out through the raddle and you can see the warp going through the lease sticks to the front of the room. Winding on that corkscrew warp was a little challenge, but once again not too bad.
 
But next came threading the heddles and reed - it was beyond challenging. I was so frustrated that I forgot to take a picture of all those little corkscrews hanging out of the heddles and then reed.....and popping out of the heddles and reed........
 
After taking 4 times as long to warp as any other scarf warp I finally got to tie on the front beam and spread out the warp ends (lime thread) and then audition some wefts. Right now I'm leaning toward the red-purple but I'll see what else I've got on the shelf to try out. Look at that mass of curly cue corkscrews in the right bottom corner where I've tied on the front beam - argh.

It's hard to tell in these photos but I love the way the warp blends from color to color across the warp. Another option with this dyed blank would have been to put on a warp and use the dyed blank for the weft and have the colors blend the length of the scarf. Once again, I would wind it into a skein and wash it before using it for weft - would hate to fight those corkscrews with every shot I throw.

Would I do this knitted silk blank dyeing for weaving again - yes for myself or for gifts. Will I do it for items I sell, probably not as it takes more time to deal with the corkscrews or to wind it into a skein to wash and let dry before warping. I will definitely wind it into a skein and wash it to get rid of those corkscrews next time.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, quite lovely and what a bunch of effort with that curly warp. Nice job, I would have thrown in the corner and gone and had a beer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fought my way through it and then had two fingers of Fireball Cinnamon Whiskey on the rocks! Yes, anyone that knows me knows I don't really like the taste of liquor (I disguise it in fruity drinks) but another Teresa introduced me to it at conference last week and I loved it - tastes like an after dinner liquor to me.

      Delete
  2. I've always wondered about knitting or working with those blanks. Seemed like it would not be fun. Never though about trying to weave with one. Now, I'll be sure to avoid it for all things. Great job powering through. It turned out great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've knit several pair of socks from the knitted sock blanks where 2 threads are knit together so the socks will match - not a problem knitting straight from the blank. So, if you see one you like don't hesitate to knit from it - I've dyed my own and it's very fun. But dealing with all those curly cue ends of warp it was a big problem.

      Delete

I love your comments - thank you!