Tuesday, June 14, 2011

It's dye season.........finally......

It's finally dye season......thought spring would never arrive. Today's dyeing is merino/tencel all in my harvest colorway - have several folks that requested it quite a while back, rest will be for sale in my etsy shop once dry and weighed, this colorway sells out no matter what the fiber. Weird dye issue today - see on the left the color is lighter (much like it looks on falkland wool), then to the right it's darker like it usually looks on merino/tencel. Same merino/tencel, same vinegar soaking solution, same dye stock, same time in the steamer, all dyed today - so what gives??? Oh well, I love them both.

Decided to only dye 10 pounds today, good decision, I usually fight through 15-20 pounds which is a back breaker. New dyeing rule - never more than 10 pounds. Thursday will be another dye day - merino/bamboo, only 6 pounds of that set aside for dyeing and a pound of firestar blending nylon - that's some fun blingy stuff to dye.

Another lesson learned today - put sunblock on before the sun starts burning my skin (slow learner on that one), also learned that weighing out merino/bamboo with sunblock on is a mistake, flyaway fiber stuck to me. Used a new sunblock today, Trader Joe's spray on, liked it, easy to use, although has a weird smell so would only use it when working outside and then going in to shower.

2 comments:

  1. Boy, does that sound like me and my soap. It's not fun when it's so heavy. Those are wonderful colors - no wonder they're popular!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!