Sunday, January 16, 2022

This and that..........

The other day I decided to put a towel warp on for some Valentine towels. It's hard to get away from production weaving but then I also won't spend the time warping for just a couple towels.  I compromised and put on enough warp for 8 towels.  I'll keep a couple for myself and eventually gift the others.  Of course, I probably won't put them out to use in February as I have to pack up much of the house in order to have new flooring installed and painting............will be living in a disaster zone for a while. 


A friend gifted me with a mini-charm pack of already cut squares, 2 1/2" square.  She also gave me some fat quarters. Yesterday I had planned on weaving but ended up going down the rabbit hold playing with the 42 little squares. 


I ended up making a tote bag.  I mean, everyone can use another tote bag especially when we have to bring our own bags to shop with. If I'm buying fabric or clothing I don't want to put them in the same bags I use for groceries.  I used all 42 squares on the front of the tote, one of the fat quarters to frame the squares..........


 .........one fat quarter for the back and then 2 fat quarters for the lining.  I just happened to have some brown webbing for the straps in my stash.

So on to fabric shopping - in my local fabric store all the ladies I've encountered that work there wear those little clear masks that sit out in front of the chin & mouth.  I mean, what's with that???  What good do they do???  And they cut fabric so slow when all I want to do is get out of there. Good thing I rarely go in that store.....I wonder how many others rarely shop there these days because of this.  I want to support local businesses but not compromise my health doing so.  And it's not just that local store - we found the flooring store staff and customers weren't wearing masks, same at the door store and many other stores in town. We rarely go in stores but the past few weeks we've needed to and are shocked. We do have an indoor mask mandate. Our region has low vaccination rates because people refuse to get vaccinated, they also don't want to wear masks.........so the rest of us pay.  I'm growing very weary and very irritated at how inconsiderate others are. And I'll stop at that because I could go on.......and on...........



4 comments:

  1. The tote bag is lovely. Sorry your area isn't complying. Although I don't go to the store often - and then usually just groceries or the drug store - I do see almost all people masked. But still cloth masks. I'm switching to KN95s to protect myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also go out rarely and to few places but this last couple of weeks I've been out more looking at flooring and doors and have been shocked at lack of compliance. Yes, on the N95's - fit much closer to the face for protection.

      Delete
  2. I'm totally behind you disliking those spit guard masks. They do absolutely nothing, and seem to be a mere nod at obeying social mandates. We have nixed our double homemade masks and wear only N95 masks when going out here in BC. Like you I'm weary of how long it drags on. Hopefully we will soon be moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hadn't heard they were called spit guard masks - now that I know, IF I go back to that fabric store I will ask why they're wearing useless spit guards. Hopefully I won't need to go back there again until after things are better. Yes N95 masks are the best, I totally agree.

      Delete

I love your comments - thank you!