Tuesday, August 20, 2019

Another project crossed off the list......

We've crossed another house remodel project off the very long to-do list. This room is actually kitchen dining nook but I've taken it over for my office, orchids and pottery......we have bar seating and a dining room, we don't need a third eating area. The before picture isn't the best since our old chair is right in the foreground, this pic was taken months ago...…...I didn't take it, I forgot to take a before picture so this is one Sam had taken early on.

See that drop tray ceiling?  It's a monstrosity. All the ceilings in the house are 11-12 foot except for here. What possessed the builder to put in that heavy drop ceiling???  We knew it had to come out.

Just a couple weeks ago Sam, a friend and my cousin took that drop ceiling out - it was built so well the house could have fallen down around it and it would have still been there. Here it is with new insulation before drywall and texturing. Unfortunately I didn't get an in process photo - plastic hanging down with around a foot of blown in insulation and drywall trash laying all around.

And here it is finished - it looks so much better. I have since put décor on the desk shelves, I decided it should be handmade baskets for the time being....not sure if that's what will stay. I even question if I want to keep the hutch on the desk or put art on the wall above the desk instead. I've also given thought to painting this furniture. No need to decide now.

Next project up - new gas fireplace and mantel. The old gas fireplace puts out 0 heat, zero, nada, nothing. This winter we'd love to swivel around in our recliners to read or knit (me) in front of a cozy fire.



4 comments:

  1. I wish I had the drive, and the help, that you have in remodeling. My house was built in 1948 and could definitely benefit from some updating, but time, money, and know-how are all missing here. Your new space looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peg, I wanted to buy one of the 1910-1930 houses in one section of town but Sam nixed that - he could see it would have more projects than he wanted to do.....but I would have loved it.

      Delete
  2. What an amazing transformation Cindy! I must admit that I love a tray ceiling and that one was a real beauty, but your new space is wonderfully airy and open.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think if the tray ceiling hadn't been so heavy looking, dropped down as much as it was we would have kept it. It just looked like the elephant in the house with the rest of the place all tall ceilings.

      Delete

I love your comments - thank you!