Tuesday, May 5, 2015

A mini weaving studio

I finally got a small weaving space carved out at the beach cottage. This bedroom used to have 2 twin beds but there have never been 2 guests staying in here at the same time so only one bed has been used at a time. Out goes the second bed and in comes my small Macomber loom.

It's turned out to be a really comfortable, welcoming guest/weaving room. I hung the quilt that was on the other bed and love the way it looks. There's even room for my extra spinning wheel in this room. My shuttles and other small tools are stored in the two little boxes on the magazine table. Bigger weaving items are hidden under the bed and will come out when I'm weaving.

I put all my little Cape May, NJ houses up on the quilt rack, they look so much cuter there than in the window seat. From the age of 13 thru college I spent my summers in Cape May Point, NJ at my parents beach house - my fondest summer memories are from those years and I get to be reminded of them seeing these and some books I have on Cape May even though I'm on the total opposite coast. I can't wait to get a warp on this loom, it's going to be a lovely space to weave in. I've brought all the cottolin over there so towels will be on this loom for quite a while.

I started knitting a new shawl using the black baby alpaca/silk blend I spun recently. I'm stuck. I'm not so sure I like it but I don't think it's the pattern, it's the handspun. It's much hairier and fuzzier than I was thinking it would be and I don't like that. So for the moment this will sit until I decide if I want to continue on or rethink how this handspun will be used.

This is a Vellela vellela jellyfish. Starting last year I was seeing the clear sail/cellophane looking top of these jellyfish all over the beach but I thought it was trash, not from a living creature. Then I saw photos of them on two different blogs from beaches north of us.....and this past weekend I saw an intact one so I snapped a photo. Apparently the clear cellophane looking part acts as a sail on the ocean. These aren't anything like the giant jellyfish from the east coast that I got stung by more times than I'd like to remember.

7 comments:

  1. I like seeing your mini-studio--it gives my some ideas that maybe I can use during the winter when we can't use our glassed porch for weaving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cindie, What a magical space you've created. I suspect this summer you are going to get to do a bit more weaving than last. Love the Sisters Quilt poster too, but those Cape May cottages are quite special. Happy weaving!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a perfect weaving studio you have for yourself when at the cottage. Love the colors and the light in the room.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cute little weaving studio! It looks so serene. Interestingly, the Vellela are related to the Man 'O War jellyfish. They could empty the water as fast as someone yelling "Shark!". I grew up on the west coast and we too had giant jellyfish and I certainly remember getting stung all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You mean you actually got in this frigid water?!! My first time on the Oregon coast back in 1981 I was in for a surprise when I had to wear a sweatshirt instead of my bathing suit on the beach....in the middle of the summer. Now I love it way more than sweltering out on the beach back east and hoping to cool down by spending much of the day in the water.

      Delete
  5. You have carved out a warm and welcoming weaving space - makes me want to be there. You might need a gooseneck Ott light for foggy days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've already got an Ott floor light over there so I'm ready. It's interesting that over there even on dreary days the house is bright and light filled......but I may need that extra light over the front of the loom come winter.

      Delete

I love your comments - thank you!