Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dragonflies flutter by.......

Here's my second original design using the WeavePoint software - I'm slow and keep tweaking but it's fun, still on the upside of the learning curve, actually not very far on the upside yet. I wound the warp and got it on the loom yesterday and wove a couple samples - one with this 1/3 background, the other using a diamond background. I washed the samples last night and studied them this morning. The diamonds were much too busy so that draft was immediately scrapped. The twill looked pretty good but I could see areas of the dragonflies that needed more tweaking so I set to work on that.

The dragonflies use all 40 harnesses on a straight threading, 1 to 40. I could have gotten more detail in the wings if I had used a point twill threading with each side of the insect being symetrical but then they would have been twice as big - too big in my mind for a scarf. Yes, I could have done a point twill not using all 40 harnesses but they would have still been too big to suit me.

I used a teal 8/2 tencel for the warp - this is the first scarf using chartreuse (one of my fav colors) for the weft. The next two scarves will use a fuschia and a purple weft. This all working up to using this draft for a warp I painted last fall - that warp will go on the loom next. Then it's on to some projects on the Macomber - some towels, maybe some summer shawls.

1 comment:

  1. Oooh...pretty! I love dragonflies. That color combination is pretty too.


I love your comments - thank you!