Thursday, March 22, 2012

Warm bread from the oven....

Yes, I know, I said last weekend that I don't bake often and here I am baking for the 3rd time in a week. My aunt, Sandra, in Montana found out about a no-knead bread technique using a cast iron dutch oven. She told me, I ignored it for months but she told my cousin Jim who made it and sent a loaf home with Sam, yummy enough that I had to give in. So, off to buy the dutch oven - argh - where to store it! But I got one, enameled so it's easy to clean but it doesn't have to be enameled. My first attempt didn't turn out, my yeast was so old it was dead. Tried again mixing up the dough last night taking less than 5 minutes. Let it sit for 18 hours, turned it out, let it rise for 2 hours and into a hot dutch oven to bake.
It didn't double in the rising process like the instructions said it would but it's a great loaf of bread none the less. It's super crusty and has holes throughout. You can see I already ripped a chunk off to give it a try. This may have been a bad thing to learn about......
I haven't bought the book yet but the title is My Bread: The Revolutionary No-Work, No-Knead Method  by Jim Lahey

2 comments:

  1. I bought yeast the other day. I'm planning to make kneaded bread this week with Alexia. I'm not sure how that's going to work out.

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments - thank you!